For an industry to certify their production as organic, they must be registered with the COPAE Processor Register. The steps to follow are:
- Present the following documentation in COPAE:
- When the application has been completed, an expert from COPAE will arrange a date with the producerto perform the initial audit and will make a visit to the holding to check the details included on the application form.
- Following the initial audit, the Certification Commission will determine the conditions of registration and conversion periods.COPAE will notify the decision.
- Once registered, the operator will notify the start of the activity and is obliged to keep an updated records register which will be required during follow-up or inspection visits (records of entries, entries of releases, processing records), to guarantee the traceability of the product at all times and a record of stock. Furthermore, they must notify COPAE on a quarterly basis of all sales made on organic products. Labels and advertising material of the organic product must have prior authorisation from the COPAE
- Once the initial control phase has been completed, the COPAE experts will perform periodical follow-up visits that can be made with or without prior warning