For a livestock farmer to certify their production as organic, must be registered with the COPAE Holdings Register. The steps to follow are:
- Present the following documentation in COPAE: (download documents)
- Documentation on holdings
- Registration application form
- Registration application form for plots
- Plot records
- Livestock records
- Survey of holdings to be registered
- When the application has been completed, an expert from COPAE will arrange a date with the producerto perform the initial audit and will make a visit to the holding to check the details included on the application form.
- Following the initial audit, the Certification Commission will determine the conditions of registration and conversion periods.
- Once registered, the producer is obliged to keep an updatedrecords register which will be required during follow-up or inspection visits. All livestock farmers are obliged to keep registers of veterinary treatments, actions taken in the plots (fertiliser, planting), agriculture and livestock entries (feed, forage, seeds) register of harvesting and release of the product (crops and forage), registers of handling and stabling livestock (weaning dates of animals must be recorded, entries in the fattening cells, periods of stabling), register of animal feed (type of food and portions given).
- Once the initial control phase has been completed, the COPAE experts will perform periodical follow-up visits that can be made with or without prior warning.